We’re in the process of planning the Third Annual Growing Local Fest in Central Vermont, a celebration of our local food system and fundraiser for the “Garden in Every Washington County School” initiative. The event will be held on September 10th from 2:00 to 7:00pm, at the Vermont College of Fine Arts Green in Montpelier.
The First Annual Growing Local Fest was a great success. Over 200 people participated in local food workshops and danced to live music on the college green. Thanks to generous donations from our sponsors, we were able to cover the cost of the event and raise an additional $2,500 that was distributed to eight Washington County schools to install or refurbish gardens. The Second Annual Growing Local Fest was twice the success. Nearly 500 people enjoyed the festivities while helping to raise $4,750 for school gardens. Over the last two years, with the help of our sponsors, we gave 16 mini-grants to 12 area schools for a total of $7,250.
We expect this year’s event to be even bigger and better! It will include:
- Workshops and demonstrations on gardening, seed saving, canning and more,
- Live music by viperHouse and The Chad Hollister Band
- Local food tasting and local food vendors,
- Kids’ activities,
- Poster presentations by school garden grant recipients,
- And Three Penny Taproom serving Vermont micro-brews, to round off what should be a spectacular day.
Proceeds from the day will again go directly to the “Garden in Every Washington County School” initiative.
For more information, check out the new Growing Local Fest website.